January 30, 2011

Latin Dancing-- Not your mother's Salsa dance!

 I love to dance. I think it may have been one of my first OGT (Obviously Gay Traits) ever since I was a young kid, maybe 7 or 8 I remember loving to dance. It didn't matter what kind of music it was, it was just so freeing. One of the things I really liked growing up were the LDS Youth and Young Adult dances and I would hardly sit down at all. I read somewhere the saying "Dance like no one is watching" and that probably described me to a T.

I used to go dancing with a huge group of young adults, and we'd be found at one or other Young Adult dance or a dance club. Oddly enough I found it even more liberating that at the dance club you didn't have to have a partner, everyone danced as a group or by themselves and it was never a big deal, unlike church dances. Of course this all ended when we all got married and went our separate ways, but if there was a party or a wedding, I would jump to the chance to dance, didn't everyone? :-)

Fast-forward to coming out and being invited to a gay club. To say that I was intimidated is an understatement, but soon my nerves were calmed as dancing with my guy friends (as in a group) was not a big deal--I'd done it before. As fun as clubs are, I really don't consider myself to be club-hopper, but I do like to dance the night away whenever I go.


One of my latest frontiers crossed was Latin dancing-homo style. I wasn't sure how it worked because I had only danced Salsa, Merengue, Cumbia and heck even the Mexican Regional music with a woman and wasn't quite sure how it would work guy-guy. So a few of weeks ago we went to a gay Latin night and at first it was the couples (M-F) dancing but as soon as the place got crowded I started seeing--M/F, M/M, F/F couples dancing together which was way fun, non-judgmental and very nice!! I had a blast, I have to admit that because I only had led the dancing before it was weird to figure out who was leading dancing with the babe, but all in all it was a lot of fun! So now we'll have to learn to do the turning steps before we try to go again... YAY for making yet another  one of my favorite hobbies even MORE FUN!!

5 comments:

  1. Ha! This made me laugh because I said, "and I thought you just liked to dance!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope; You found me, YAY!! I really had to LOL because the Mexican Folk Dancing WAS also one of my favorite things to do (although I don't do it anymore... I guess that'll be part of another posting), but you were spot on!!
    Hugs,Miguel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, waaaaay to self conscious and insecure to dance. Miguel, sir, you are my inspiration. I could say that confidence within 5 minutes of our little lunch rendez-vous. You're just plain awesome. How about a pic or two of you on the dance floor? Let your light so shine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there and I saw the truth with my own eyes. Miguel and the Babe were awesome! They put the rest of the crowd to shame! And ControllerOne, a group of us go dancing a couple of times a month. You should come with us some time. We've even got Pilgrim addicted. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ControllerOne:
    You're too kind my friend! Pictures? I don't know, maybe next time! :-)

    Clive:
    We need to convince ControllerOne to come up to UT from California and have a "totally gay weekend", what do you think?

    Hugs,Miguel

    ReplyDelete