January 10, 2011

Calories, Carbohydrates and Treadmills, oh my!

It is no secret that living a healthy lifestyle has several benefits for one's life. I may have mentioned this before but about 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type II. How I got there was the result of eating without worry--I'm sure I was dealing with tons of other internal issues as a way of coping with my life back then...

Long story short, I had to change my entire lifestyle. I won't deny that sometimes it is extremely hard to maintain a healthy regimen. Holidays make it very hard, but since I've lost and managed to keep about 30 pounds off and on and I guess the battle will always continue. What's helped me? I don't think I'm so much in a special diet. Sure, I've eliminated any food that can be bought on the drive-through and regular soda pop (switched to diet). I've tried to eat at home as much as possible and when doing this try to eat less--I don't always succeed at this but again, it is an ongoing fight--it will always be.

I also have to exercise. I found that at least for me, even if I eat nothing but lettuce it makes no difference in my body, I still get high glucose readings, so I had been consistently running/walking for 1 mile every day and recently increased that to 2 miles a day. The result is that my doctor removed my Diabetes diagnosis at my last physical after my last AC1 test and told me not to go back to my old habits. Only recently did I start paying more close attention to the calorie and carbohydrate contents of food but only because I've tried to see what it would take to basically burn off whatever I eat and the comparisons are disconcerting! I almost bought a small packet of chocolate donuts the other day at the store and realized that it contains more than 400 calories, well when I figured that I'd have to run for more than a 1/2 hour just to burn that little pack of donuts off I put it back on the shelf immediately. If that's not a motivator (or demotivates me) then I don't know what will!


So I didn't even add physical fitness to my new year's resolutions. It is something that has been ongoing and likely always will be. The other part I like about this is that I'm starting to fit into smaller clothes which is awesome, I just wish I had the budget to work with! Anyone want to nominate me for a makeover or send me to "What Not To Wear"?

No comments:

Post a Comment