April 13, 2011

Easy Cooking: Pastel Azteca...really?

Aztec Cake? Sounds interesting. I saw this entry on the blog of eazy-cheezy Mexican food I read and have tried some recipes which are actually quite good. The author says it is more or less the equivalent of Mexican Lasagna. I don't think I'll fry the corn tortillas, and it will save a lot of calories, most of the time you can't even tell the difference in flavor. I might try to make it on Sunday for brunch with the kids--hope they like it, if not I'll have lots of leftovers to eat the rest of the week! Sounds easy enough that anyone can make it, serious! I entered the recipe into my calorie counter and it adds up to about 500 Cal a serving, but that's a dang big serving, still a serving of lasagna ends up being about the same! I'll translate and post the recipe here for my non-Spanish speaking friends:

4 Portions
1 Chicken Breast
1 Corn (I'll probably use a can of corn)
3 Poblano Peppers
Olive Oil
8 Corn Tortillas
1 Onion
2 Tomatos
1 Garlic Clove
Salt/Pepper?
1 Cup of Cream (table cream)
1 Cup of Cheese (I'll probably use Mozzarella or some other kind)

90 Minute Preparation (or so)

-Cook the chicken breast on water/salt and 1/2 onion and shred. (I sometimes cheat and just get a roasted chicken from Costco or Smith's, but if you want to cook it go for it!)
-Roast the poblano peppers on the stove/grill, put them in a plastic bag and let them sweat for 10 minutes. Peel the skin under the water faucet and remove the seeds, cut them in strips.
-Fry the tortillas in oil--I'll just layer the tortillas, no frying here, maybe I'll do cooking spray--no calories!
-Cut the other 1/2 onion, chop the garlic and saute in a pan with a little olive oil, then add the strips of poblano pepper and cook them together for about 5 minutes.
-Blend the tomatoes with a little bit of water. Add the tomato sauce to the pan with the onions/garlic/pepper. Add the shredded chicken and stir for about 10 min. Season with salt/pepper to taste.

-Put a layer of tortillas in a baking dish. Add a layer of the chicken/peppers/onion mix. Add layer of cream, corn and cheese. Repeat until you have covered the dish or you're out of ingredients. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for about 20 min or until cheese is melted. Uncover and keep baking from 5-10 min until the top layer of cheese is crusty (or as you may like it). Cut and serve as a cake.

If you are daring enough to try it, let me know how you like it? So far all the stuff I've tried from there has been pretty good!

En Español


Esta semana vi una receta llamada Pastel Azteca en el blog de comida de El Universal donde he aprendido a hacer comida Mexicana facil. Me parece facil de hacer, casi se ve como lazagna (que es lo que dice la autora. Voy a tener que intentarlo, quizas el Domingo, haber si les gusta a los hijos...La receta se ve facil! Si lo haces, dime si te gusta?

1 comment:

  1. I used to roll enchiladas, but it takes so long - now I just make enchilada casserole, similar to this. It's not as pretty, but it tastes good! I serve with lots of fresh pico de gallo and Yum!

    ReplyDelete