February 22, 2012

What am I giving up for Lent?

I've been hearing lots of people's resolutions for Lent. Some of my friends are giving up pretty considerable stuff like no Facebook, no margaritas, no drinking and coffee.

Lent is described in  Wikipedia as: 

 "The Christian observance of the liturgical year from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday.

The traditional purpose of Lent is the penitential preparation of the believer—through prayer, penance, repentance, alms giving, and self-denial. 

Its institutional purpose is heightened in the annual commemoration of Holy Week, marking the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events of the Passion of Christ on Good Friday, which then culminates in the celebration on Easter Sunday of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. 

During Lent, many of the faithful commit to fasting or giving up certain types of luxury as a form of penitence"

Now, I am not the most ardent, believing and practicing Christian; I still eat meat on Fridays; a friend told me I was nuts for doing this if I wasn't even Catholic. Yeah that's probably true and I don't really know if what I'll do will make a huge difference in how I tune God in (or out!). I was also talking to the bf about this and noted that I already have a pretty streamlined life and I honestly didn't feel the need to give up much more; but after thinking about it for a little bit, I suppose there's always something that I can improve on:

So I'm giving up Vending Machine Snacks

Yes, that horrid temptress machine that sits there quietly and somehow manages to take my spare change--I'm done with you vending machine. It isn't you, it's me.... In a given week I've realized that I drop a few bucks for a quick snack, especially around the 3:00 pm munchies and I think I can do better than that. Same with soda pop, a can of poison is anywhere from $.75 to $1.25 for a single serving. What that also means is that I have to plan to bring a big bottle of something (for a $1.25 for a 2 litter bottle that will last all week) and maybe grab apples or bring my own dang snacks from home. I think I can do that with just a little bit of planning and careful avoidance of the break-room....

Yeah it isn't much of a penitence but then again... wish me luck and please hold me accountable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment